General Chat / Coolest City you have ever visited?

• Roomie%s's Photo

Getting pretty tough to pick but a rough top 10

Budapest 

Tokyo

Reykjavik

Melbourne

Tblisi

Sarajevo

New Orleans

Barcelona

Dubrovnik

Hong Kong

I'm sure i missed some of my faves but these are all places everyone should visit at some point in their lives.

• RWE%s's Photo

I didnt visited many places yet, i was only 3 times outside of Europe, and that was always in Asia. But that would be my best 10:

Beijing

Hamburg

Barcelona

Porec/Parenzo

Shanghai

Ulan Bator

Budapest

Munich

Copenhagen

Berlin

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    yaaaa reppin nola
  • csw%s's Photo

Just returned from a trip to Colorado, and I gotta say Boulder is pretty neat. 

The whole infrastructure of Colorado is so nice. Probably all that weed money. 

• Austin55%s's Photo

In New Orleans now... WTF. This place is terrible.  It's unique tho. 

• Liampie%s's Photo
    As some of you may have noticed, I was in Barcelona two weeks ago. It's a very nice city.

- It feels huge, a tier above cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen, more like Paris. A large portion of the city has a grid pattern with large multi-lane streets. Not my taste, but definitely contributes to the big feeling.
    - Well organized public space, everything is tidy, stylized and practical.
    - Great metro system. Lots of lines, lots of stations with good coverage, easy to buy tickets, and never a wait longer than a few minutes.
    - Historical city center is not very big or varied, nor does it offer many postcard-style panoramas. It definitely has some beautiful architecture and hidden gems like remnants of old fortifications or quiet little squares.
    - Beach!

Doesn't crack my top three of Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Cape Town, but it might very well be my #4. I'm sure I'll come back to Barcelona, because I haven't seen that much.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

In New Orleans now... WTF. This place is terrible.  It's unique tho. 

ninth ward is best ward
  • Faas%s's Photo

Top ten for me. Might change when I remember other cities. These are places to visit, so I won't incorporate cities where I lived because that's biased.

Budapest
    Lisbon
    Ghent
    Vilnius 
    Montréal
    Rotterdam
    Barcelona

Rabat

Detroit

Marrakech (beautiful city, annoying people)

London, Rome, Paris and Toronto were really cool, but not something for me (too serious and too big). 

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Detroit?!
  • csw%s's Photo

I was also surprised to see Detroit there

• Faas%s's Photo

I'm an urban geographer, and a more interesting city to explore is hard to find. The hollowed-out core looks pretty epic and unbelievable. The stuff that did survive is also pretty cool. 

• FredD%s's Photo

Top ten for me. Might change when I remember other cities. These are places to visit, so I won't incorporate cities where I lived because that's biased.

Budapest
    Lisbon
    Ghent
    Vilnius 
    Montréal
    Rotterdam
    Barcelona

Rabat

Detroit

Marrakech (beautiful city, annoying people)

London, Rome, Paris and Toronto were really cool, but not something for me (too serious and too big). 

You the man!

• Austin55%s's Photo

The U.S. is tough to travel in sometimes, the nearest metro area with 1 million poeple not in my own state is the same distance London is from Paris (and somehing tells me London and Paris are better than DFW and OKC) 

My favorite U.S. city is Seattle, with Chicago shortly behind. Everywhere else I really love, I'd have Boston, San Francisco, D.C. and Portland in the next tier, then Pittsburgh, Philly, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, NOLA, Denver, Tampa, Nashville, Juneau and Columbus in the next, then places like OKC, Cleveland, etc. 

The only cities I've ever disliked have been Lubbock Texas, (family is there) Texas Tech is nice but the city is godawful and boring as all could ever be and then I really disliked Tulsa. It's about the boring big city imaginable, very generic. Oh and East St. Louis. That place sucked. 

My wishlist of cities to visit Would be Hong Kong, Cape Town, Warsaw, Sydney and Melbourne. And of course all the big ones like Berlin, London, Paris, Madrid, etc. 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Why does nobody have NYC on their lists?

• csw%s's Photo

'cause NYC is lame. duh. 

• Austin55%s's Photo

Yea I'd put it on the same tier as places like Amarillo, Winston-Salem, Toledo, Fresno, etc. 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Those aren't even real cities. 

• csw%s's Photo

Yeah, come on, Austin. I'd say NYC is like Kalamazoo, Rolla, and Effingham over anything else. 

*midwest cities because I've never been anywhere else

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I can add Almería and Granada to my list of major cities I've visited.

- Almeriá was nice, but an awkward mix of beautiful and hideous architecture. 60%
    - Granada: amazing. The first really beautiful city I've been to in Spain. The city has about 400.000 inhabitants but the city centre has the grandeur of a larger city. Beautiful boulevards and public space, interesting varied architecture, palms in the foreground and the snow covered Sierra Nevada in the background, the Alhambra is breathtaking, beautiful women as well... Only real downside is the traffic. The city is impossible to navigate by car, what a fucking mess. 90%
  • FredD%s's Photo

Of course is the nicest city, my own town Ghent. Speaks for itself. Visited some other cities, from wich Lisbon was the coolest. Underrated gem, I think it's a must-do in Europe. Paris is the most beautiful city but that's no surprise there. London was a let down, didn't really like it. Sorry Brits... Madrid and Prague are also very cool cities to visit.

In 2,5 weeks I'm going to Rome, which I'm very excited about because history and the ancient Rome always has fascinated me. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading