General Chat / Coolest City you have ever visited?

• JJ%s's Photo
    New York probably one of my least favourites lol, just too many people for me, getting pushed about is never fun, granted seeing Mamma Mia on broadway was probably the best part of that holiday ^_^. Hope you had a good time? :p
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    More than two years since my previous post here. My love for Amsterdam has grown. Last monday I saw the city centre again for the first time in like a month; full of positive energy gained from my awesome holiday to Curacao, and with the sun shining brightly, I realized how beautiful the city is again. It felt so good that day, and I didn't even had a proper walk. It lasted only for a few minutes, on my walk from the metro to uni. But the moment lasted long enough for me to realize this.

Can't get enough.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Lanesboro, MN.

I agree, I would much rather live in Ft. Worth than Dallas. I fucking hate Dallas.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

New York probably one of my least favourites lol, just too many people for me, getting pushed about is never fun, granted seeing Mamma Mia on broadway was probably the best part of that holiday ^_^. Hope you had a good time? :p

Really? My experiences have been nothing like that, even in the touristy places like Times Square. Maybe I'm just used to crowds
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo

just too many people for me, getting pushed about is never fun

Same here, i just hate crowds, it makes me feel like a chicken.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I don't like crowds but there was no problems for me in New York, it felt like home, it's nice to go to a city that actually feels like a city, none of our cities have that feel for me.

It was just immensely cold, like the coldest I've ever felt, I know that isn't exceptionally cold to a lot of people but still, for me it was a big deal. Also all the wind blowing all the trash and dirt around in the air wasn't so nice, but hell, it was New York, it could shit in my face and i'd still be happy. We all felt really safe as well, much safer than the UK. We went out walking at 1am to find a McDonalds and we didn't feel one bit unsafe whereas in England I'd feel constantly wary.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    I have to bump this.

Here are my favorite U.S. cities that I've been to:

1. Chicago, Il
    Chicago has some of the best architecture, a beautiful lakefront, and it is only improving. No, the winter isn't bad. We are not envious of New York either. Chicago is more likeable and modest than NY.

2. Washington DC
    Washington is pretty nice, and its suburbs are almost as good as the ones in Chicago. I never found DC to be walkable though.

3. Seattle, WA
    Seattle is definitely the best city on the west coast. It is one of the cleanest and safest cities I've seen.

4. Detroit, MI
    No, I am not trolling. Detroit is the biggest travesty in the country. The architecture of Detroit is amazing and it was once the 3rd largest city. Hopefully it will become a world class city sometime in the future.

5. Pittsburgh, PA
    I know that a lot will disagree with me, but Pittsburgh is a true, real city. It is pretty gritty but very scenic in my opinion, I like hilly cities.
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    1. Boston, MA: I really liked this place. Old historic sites and new skyscrapers practically built right next to each other, and I like history. Plus there is a lot of cool stuff all around the city

2. New York: going into New York is a big deal, it's frightfully expensive (and I have trouble seeing myself living there) but there's still a lot of cool stuff to do

3. Whashington DC: also a lot of really cool historical stuff, like Boston, but there's also the sense of activity that comes from it being the country's capitol: a lot of very big things happen there continuously

4. Providence, RI: It's been a long time since I've been there but I remember it as being a really nice city, very clean and a lot of cool things to do in and around there

5. Intercourse PA: it is a nice little Amish town with lots of really old buildings and a good farmers market. Really delicious home-made food and home-grown vegetables. Very cute little village in the countryside.

and you can't beat that name...
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Providence is ok, but you can start at one end of it, walk for ten minutes, and be back in the suburbs.
    For me it comes in on the "Cool but not big enough to be mind-blowing" list. Providence has a cool food and arts culture, but just doesn't have the variety I like. Here's some more on that list:
    Columbus - see providence, also surrounded by Ohio
    Albuquerque - see providence, also surrounded by nothing
    Madison - see providence, also surrounded by mosquitos
    Indianapolis - actually no indianapolis isn't really that cool
    Roanoke, Louisville, STL, Kansas City, Raleigh, Boston, Allentown, Orlando, etc. - all cool places that are too small to have any international communities and have great but one-note culture.
    Plenty of cities in the US have a cool local culture that is limited by the size of the city or by the fact that bland american big-box culture takes up a certain portion of every city.

Megacities of course break down into smaller neighborhoods, but generally carry their own brand of suck. LA smog and ghetto, Chicago wind and weather and ghetto, NY living costs and ghetto, London culture and ghetto (london is the most passive-agressive place I've ever been), so on.

Some places transcend that a little; Pasadena is absolutely gorgeous and is like a tumor on the side of LA, so you get all the fun with none of the suck. Some of the wealthier Chicago and Miami suburbs are similar, but lack the really cool history and geography of Pasadena. If Providence were a touch closer to Boston it would be great.

Seoul is the only place I've been that just plain didn't have any suck. The biggest issue I ran into when I was there? Difficulty finding mexican food. Which I eventually did.
  • Mr. Coaster%s's Photo
    I don't disagree with you jag. Pittsburgh is a very pretty city!
    Posted Image
    My list is...
    1. Pittsburgh PA
    2. Chicago IL
    3. San Francisco CA
    4. Prague
    5. Las Vegas NV
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

Columbus - see providence, also surrounded by Ohio

Hey, at least it's better than Cleveland. :p

Indianapolis - actually no indianapolis isn't really that cool

It is called naptown for a reason. Lets be honest though, it has a few landmarks, the Indy 500, and some of the suburbs are pretty cool.

Chicago wind and weather and ghetto

Chicago weather isn't as bad as most people think though. At least there aren't any major natural disasters. What is wrong with a little snow?

Some of the wealthier Chicago and Miami suburbs are similar, but lack the really cool history and geography of Pasadena.

Have you ever been to Chicago's north shore? Any of the suburbs bordering Chicago? Miami suburbs cannot compare to Chicago suburbs. Pasadena seems like a nice place but there has to be a lot of pollution and suburban sprawl given its proximity to... a lot of pollution and suburban sprawl. Evanston, Il seems similar to Pasadena.
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    @][ntaimin22, Allentown PA? If so, pretty sure that's the first time I've ever seen Allentown mentioned on someone's "Cities I like" list, or even really considered that much of a big city, but that's probably because it's a lot bigger than it always seemed to me. Cool that you should mention it, granted I know very few other people who even know of it other than for Dorney Park or Bell Labs.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Can't hate on Dorney park. Although admittedly, Allentown is more a personal attachment for me than any really great things about the city itself.

meanwhile in pasadena

Posted Image

averages 65F in January? yes please.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    Hmm...
    Copenhagen is definately number one.
    Its the only bigger city I've visited, that I'd actually consider living in for a longer time.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I'm in Copenhagen tomorrow. Can't wait.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    I hear good things about copenhagen, but also that it is crazy expensive

Anyone been to Wuppertal? Also heard good things about it, as well as Eindhoven. I'd also be interested in Sao Paulo.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    When I was there last time it wasn't that expensive. Not cheap, but not much more expensive than over here either. It's affordable.

Eindhoven? Are you nuts? That place is drab. There are many cooler cities here. Amsterdam, Utrecht, Haarlem, Rotterdam, Groningen, Maastricht, you name it. But Eindhoven not so much.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Agreed. Eindhoven has only a few interesting streets and those are not meant for tourism but for rich people to live behind big fences.
  • Jackoasta%s's Photo
    Paris is by far is my favourite city so far, it's beautiful and the place is filled with so much history. (The view on the Eiffel Tower and the Arc De Triomphe are just breathtaking)
    Liverpool's great because of it's artistic architecture nearby Albert Port and it's culture, plus, it's the home of the Beatles.

London...meh, while some places look great like Regents Park and the Thames. I'm not the biggest fan of the Underground...

Derby (IN THE UK) is a really nice city to visit, it's got some gorgeous areas, for instance, if you've ever visited Derby, you should know that areas in and around the River Derwent are so beautiful (especially when walking nearby and when you're on bridges), but my main problem is that some suburbs (like Normanton and Chaddesden) are filled with crime and druggies...

York's another one I like very much.

Must Visits:
    Dallas, Texas
    Tokyo, Japan
    NYC, NYC
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Barcelona, Spain
    Athens, Greece
    Moscow/Korolvyv, Russia
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    ^OK so I know I always brag around on Texas and Dallas/Fort Worth in particular, but in reality they aren't that great right? Certainly not to European or international standards.

I mean, I see nothing that a European would want to come to Dallas for unless you are very interested in the Dallas Cowboys or the JFK assassination.

Curious to know what interests you in Dallas so much?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading