Theme Park Discussion / NE's 2012 Construction Topic

• inVersed%s's Photo
    Does anybody know if the "over the parking lot" technique that CF seems to be using here could work at Cedar Point in order to eventually squeeze another mega coaster in there?
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    ^I dont see why not. Cedar Point is way overdue for a coaster and seeing as almost all the other Cedar Fair properties have gotten a new coaster in the past 3 years I think it's time that Cedar Point got some love. It doesn't have to be some huge record breaker, but they need something new.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Thrasher was better... which is really saying something since this is fucking awesome :p
  • JDP%s's Photo
    ^goddamnit i knew that was coming
    -JDP
  • GigaG%s's Photo
    Looks good. The only issue is the fact that the ride is so similar to Behemoth, but it looks cool.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    What a dumb move to build a coaster like this in that park...
  • zburns999%s's Photo

you can easily tell this is b&m first giga dude to the lazy, long, spread out brake run.

I may be wrong, but my guess is that the extra long brake run is partially going to be utilized as a blocking section, as the coaster has no MCBR?

Anyway, I guess I'm just gonna jump in with the majority here and say that I have pretty mixed feelings about this one. There is no problem with this being a sit-down giga coaster in the same park as a sit-down hyper. I've never been a fan of gimmicky rides like flyers, and I really prefer non-inverting coasters to ones with inversion-filled layouts. So, that being said, a giga is a nice choice as far as I'm concerned. However, I just don't really understand why Cedar Fair went with B&M. I know B&M's are known for their reliability, but I still think that this should have gone to Intamin.

Now, as far as the layout goes, I think it looks great. It's different from Behemoth, certainly, but not to the extent I was expecting it to be. I still wish they had at least tried not to do another out and back. Something to the likes of an I305 or SkyRush layout would have helped the ride stand out a bit in comparison to Behemoth. Regardless, the ride looks to have a sick drop and some awesome low-lying bits, which will probably be the highlight. I just wish it had some tunnels or something. When it comes down to it, though, I don't really see this as being an innovative ride. Even maintaining the same layout and coaster type, CW could have really given this ride an identity by doing something unique with it. Elevator lift? Splash down? Launched lift hill? Wing-rider trains? Imagine how much cooler of a ride this would be with wing-rider trains!

But hey, its been announced so there's no use "complaining." It's gonna be a great ride, and the name and logo are badass.

And with any luck, the next coaster will be a 500 foot Intamin accelerator called "Gargantuan." It's only the next logical step.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    meh, how boring.
  • Sephiroth%s's Photo

*cue wave of RCT b&m gigas....

So true. Serious lol there. Brings back memories of how RCTNW's/Kumba's Thresher was received with mixed reviews, and people saying B&M would never build something like it.

Anyway, I think it looks like a blast to ride! Looks like this will quite visually impressive as well.
  • Cole%s's Photo
    I agree that it's a little odd to have 2 B&M hypers in one park, but it looks decent. Layout could be a little longer though
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    The length thing is an interesting point. It's actually longer than I305 but it seems to do less with it's length...

I suppose the phrase "It's not how long it is but what you do with it" fits here :p
  • nin%s's Photo

I suppose the phrase "It's not how long it is but what you do with it" fits here :p

Oh I do plenty with it.

Besides that, I actually am really looking forward to this. While I wish B&m would break out of the out-and-back habit they've had for the past decade (only broke with Raging Bull), I am glad to see that they broke their standard height limit.
  • Cole%s's Photo

Oh I do plenty with it.

8@
  • Flap%s's Photo
    This Coaster Garanty, (Don't know if i spell it right, i'm sorry),A lot of Airtime i think.
  • MCI%s's Photo
    This thing has just two Camelbacks, there wont be much Airtime...
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Virtual POV
  • Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo
    Personally I would have rather seen an Intamin Giga. But I guess they probably went with BM for 2 reasons, 1. There finally willing to break 300ft and 2. Take a look at the last couple Intamin's Cedar Fair has bought.. I305, needed a trim on the drop till they could reprofile the turn. Maverick, had to remove the heartline.. not to mention all the downtime on Intamin coasters. I guess they felt that Diamondback, Behemoth, Intimidator, were more reliable? I still prefer Intamin over BM and one day Intamin will beable to get out all the kinks, they are already very close.
  • Insanity%s's Photo
    B&M's really been on it lately but as much as I love the thought of a B&M Giga being built... I just hate the fact that it's going to be at CW, like said before, an Intamin 1305 would of been a great addition to the park. Behemoth already has the intense airtime of a hypercoaster and is the star atraction of CW anyways. Why add another B&M Hyper? Both rides have similar styles except for leviathan being less traditional. Like said before, People always prefer taller, faster, and longer rides than ones less so, so an I305 would be almost perfect.

EDIT: this might not be one of b&M's best rides location wise.. but holy shit as I said earlier they've really been pushing the boundaries, and A wingrider would be a great addition to any park... cedar point... I wonder If this is competition between B&M & Intamin.
  • MeMeMe%s's Photo
    If B&M really wanted to impress everyone, they would build a launched roller coaster instead of another, taller mega-coaster.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Six Flags have announced their 2012 ride additions (Well it was leaked by the LA Times)

http://coasterfusion....php?extend.379

Posted Image
    SFDK Get This

Posted Image
    SFMM get their drop tower

Posted Image
    SFGAm gets the 3rd or 4th wingrider in 2 years (depending on Dollywood)

Six Flags unveiled its 2012 lineup of new roller coasters, thrill rides, water slides and live shows at the amusement park chain's 12 North American locations.

New Six Flags President and Chief Executive Jim Reid-Anderson said a full slate of new additions would become an annual event, promising to add a new attraction at "every Six Flags park every year."

Six Flags' 2012 attractions include two new roller coasters, two relocated coasters, three tower rides, three water slide complexes and at least one show.

Among the highlights:

Six Flags Great America (outside Chicago) – Billed as the only wing coaster in the United States, X-Flight by Bolliger & Mabillard will feature barrel rolls and high-speed drops with seats that straddle the 3,000-foot-long track.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Northern California) – The Superman: Ultimate Flight launch coaster will rocket riders at 60 miles per hour through a towering 150-foot-high inversion and a pair of vertical twists.

Six Flags Magic Mountain (Southern California) – The Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom drop tower will be attached to both sides of the park's 415-foot-tall Superman: Escape from Krypton coaster tower. The new thrill ride will rank as the world’s tallest (400 feet) and fastest (85 mph) drop tower.

Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) and Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio) – Both parks will install Sky Screamer swing towers for 2012. Six Flags built Sky Screamers of varying heights at Six Flags St. Louis (236 feet) and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (150 feet) in 2011. No word yet on the ride heights at Great Adventure and Fiesta Texas.

Six Flags America (outside Washington D.C.) – The 100-foot-tall Apocalypse stand-up coaster will travel at 55 mph through a loop and a corkscrew along a 2,900-foot-long track. The 1990 Bolliger & Mabillard coaster, formerly known as Iron Wolf, will be relocated from Six Flags Great America near Chicago.

Six Flags New England (Massachusetts) – The 192-foot-tall Goliath inverted boomerang coaster will travel forward and backward at 65 mph through a cobra roll and a loop along a 1,200-foot-long track. The 2001 Vekoma coaster, formerly known as Deja Vu, will be relocated from Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles.

Six Flags St. Louis (Missouri) and Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) – Both parks will add a Bonzai Pipeline looping water slide to their respective Hurricane Harbor water parks.

Great Escape (New York) – The Nordic-themed Alpine Freefalls water slide complex will be added to the Great Escape's Splashwater Kingdom water park.

Six Flags Over Georgia (Atlanta) – A 45th anniversary tribute show will join the park's entertainment lineup.

Six Flags Over Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth), Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio), Six Flags Mexico (Mexico City) and La Ronde (Montreal) – Each of the parks will add a still-undisclosed ride, attraction or show in 2012.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading