Theme Park Discussion / 2013 Construction Topic

• Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    For those living under a rock, Cedar Point is most likely getting a wingrider in 2013. (Opening comment of this thread)
  • Mattk48%s's Photo
    I suppose i should get out more. Thanks pacificoaster
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Outlaw looks like something a rookie RCTer would make, and not in a good way. We all know what the fate of SoB is, I don't see how this new coaster could hold up over time.

I personally can't wait to hear SFFT's plans with The Rattler.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

Outlaw looks like something a rookie RCTer would make, and not in a good way. We all know what the fate of SoB is, I don't see how this new coaster could hold up over time.

I personally can't wait to hear SFFT's plans with The Rattler.

The difference is that this is a steel tracked coaster with wooden supports (this means ultra-smooth rides). The company recently retrofitted the Texas Giant with steel tracks, new trains, and they changed the layout; the ride was met with raving reviews! That's what's making us so excited about this one.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    While that is true, I still don't see the wooden supports holding up nearly as well as steel supports over the years. I'm going to try my hardest to get back to SDC in the next year or two before a possible change would (will?) happen, but more often than not a first of its kind coaster always seems to change back to the norm (or never open again) than continue operating in its original form.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    yea, i love old-school wooden coasters. if you go in expecting a headache, mean streak at cedar point is amazing. but i really don't get why, in 2012, would any coaster be constructed with wooden supports. most people would say it obstructs the view, looks old, and they think it'll be all jerky. a lot of people won't go near a coaster made of wood.

and the layout doesn't look too pleasing.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

yea, i love old-school wooden coasters. if you go in expecting a headache, mean streak at cedar point is amazing. but i really don't get why, in 2012, would any coaster be constructed with wooden supports. most people would say it obstructs the view, looks old, and they think it'll be all jerky. a lot of people won't go near a coaster made of wood.

and the layout doesn't look too pleasing.

Most of my favourite coasters are wooden...
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo

The difference is that this is a steel tracked coaster with wooden supports (this means ultra-smooth rides). The company recently retrofitted the Texas Giant with steel tracks, new trains, and they changed the layout; the ride was met with raving reviews! That's what's making us so excited about this one.

I thought I heard Outlaw was going to be a true wooden coaster, not with the steel tracks that they used on Texas Giant. Steel would certainly be better though.

Anyways, I agree with Brent. Though it has a lot of interesting elements (the barrel rolls, semi-inversion, and double-ups/downs), the layout looks painfully short, and it looks like it's just going from one weird element to the next, with no thought to the overall flow of the ride. It'll probably be pretty fun, but I was expecting another NTAG, not a novelty coaster.

Also, I really hate the name "Gold Striker" (it makes me think of those Hi-Striker hammer games - I'd go with "Gold Rush" and get the TV show tie-in to boot), but I'm also really happy they're finally building that thing. Looks like I'll need to revisit at least Great America, SFDK, and Santa Cruz next year for the new coasters.
    Cedar Point Announcement Date
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    ^You beat me to it, Pacificoaster. Can't wait that 10 days.
  • RMM%s's Photo

Most of my favourite coasters are wooden...

ok.

While that is true, I still don't see the wooden supports holding up nearly as well as steel supports over the years. I'm going to try my hardest to get back to SDC in the next year or two before a possible change would (will?) happen, but more often than not a first of its kind coaster always seems to change back to the norm (or never open again) than continue operating in its original form.

I have to disagree with that. Look at coasters like Oblivion, X2, and Kirnu. All of them introduced new train concepts while still using a common basis of design, steel track. With steel track in this day and age, the possibilities seem limitless. I would consider Outlaw to be a prototype just like the three above, however in its case the structure would be wooden and the trains would be similar to those that have been used for years. This design isn't that ambitious, it just took a company like RMC to finally put it into reality.

The argument that wooden supports can't "hold up" track as well as steel coasters is untrue. When thinking about an element like a zero g roll, the train enters the element with very few lateral g's and continues with zero normal g's throughout the 360 degree roll. the stress on the structure is very minimal. In fact it is almost identical to an average airtime hill. The only difference in a wooden coaster's case would be that the track would need to be enveloped by a wooden structure, which only creates for one hell of a head-chopper.

I personally love true wooden coasters because of their uncontrollable feeling and the ability to rough you up a bit. However, coasters like The New Texas Giant, El Toro, T Express, and Colossos have had great reviews and it seems that RMC wants to revolutionize what the wooden coaster can do. In the next upcoming years I wouldn't be surprised to see Intamin making a wooden coaster with an immelman or a zero g roll.
  • Mr. Coaster%s's Photo
    Looking at that picture of the SDC coaster, and the fact that it looks like it was hastily made and auto supported in NL by an amateur, I'm just going to wait until the official announcement this Wednesday before I get excited.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    The layout does look very unusual I agree. I hope that it's because of the surrounding landscape/environment and that it fits well in the area. Can't really comment based on that layout image.

and Xcoaster, is there confirmation that it is indeed wooden tracks? I can't imagine wooden inversions.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    I'm just gonna have to ride this before they "fix" it.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I definitely prefer wooden coasters over steel coasters. You get a much better 'out of control' experience, great headchoppers/interaction, normally a focus on airtime and crazy twists, and the ones being built nowadays are smooth and fast to boot.

For me, steel coasters just get boring... they blend into each other so much. Drop, loops, brake run, corkscrews, repeat. Sometimes they're smoother or maybe a little faster. That said, I really just dislike regular looping coasters. I love most inverts, flyers, hypers, and the occassional crazy coaster like Maverick. That's why Intamin is so special, IMO... they know how to differentiate their coasters, and make them more of an experience than B&M who seem to be spitting out tons of lackluster designs every year.

But for me, woodies are just so much more fun. I enjoy most rollercoasters, but the sense of pure 'fun' just seems greater than most other rides.

anyway, that layout looks insane, if a little short. Maybe straying a bit much on the novelty side. It's not like barrel rolls were ever the most fun inversion anyway.
  • Xtreme97%s's Photo
    :o
    Posted Image
  • BC(rct2)%s's Photo
    WOW!
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    MIND == BLOWN!?!
  • GigaG%s's Photo

Only the top part is steel, and the track itself is a hybrid between wood and steel. It is debatable whether it is wood or steel. RCDB says wood.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading