RCT Discussion / OpenRCT2

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Yeah, I think it's really a niche use, and parkdat still works. I really only ever do that for updating objects I've made.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    And fixing invisible path discontinuities
  • mzmiric5%s's Photo

Hey guys, I was told you might be interested to know that we are doing our second episode of OpenRCT2 Podcast. It's scheduled for tomorrow (4th of July) at 4pm BST (11am EDT, 8am PDT), and we'll be talking about the new sandbox mode being added and some other neat features, and of course doing the live Q&A. For more info check out the reddit post below and I hope I'll see you in the chat on Saturday.

https://www.reddit.c...p2_live_stream/

• GigaG%s's Photo

1. So this is the game engine, but the ride .dats and sprites are taken from your RCT2 disc?

2. Are there plans to make it independent with new sprites like OpenTTD is now?

• constructor%s's Photo

I wonder what graphical improvements we could expect? I was playing a bit Tropico 1 and rct 2 recently and prefered Tropicos graphic style, because it has better ground textures, vegetation and a good light setting adding shadows to trees, buildings and people. Another thing which may be interesting is that tropico still has an optional 8-Bit- colorpalette support, which looks surprisingly good, although you can clearly see a difference between 8-bit and 16-bit color graphics.

• thirteen%s's Photo
    This is so awesome. These guys are putting the hours in to create something magical.

By the way. What are those ncso parks, which appear in the opening menu of open rct2? Especially that one with the big fort and the purple coaster? Do we know eho made these parks!?
  • Faas%s's Photo

http://www.nedesigns.../3107/rougarou/

http://www.nedesigns...amusement-park/

http://www.nedesigns...rchen-paradies/

http://www.nedesigns...ystic-mountain/

http://www.nedesigns.../banana-valley/

Don't know about the others. 

• Six Frags%s's Photo

I finally got a build to work, and it's quite nice. Not to the point yet I would use it over the regular version, as it bugged out after some time, and some functions do not work (such as open an .sv6 file in the scenario editor).

If it supports zero-clearancing ingame I would defenitely use it tho, as that's what I miss most in the regular version.

• 5dave%s's Photo
    ^They have a built-in Zero clearance which you can access through the cheats window (it's hidden by default but can be turned on in the ingame-options of OpenRCT2)...
    It's not like the usual Zero Clearance function though, it only sets the clearances on a marked tile to zero instead of the whole map.

"MFG"
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    They also have a function to ignore clearances entirely while building. This prevents all the flickering, as well as preventing you from having to re-apply zero clearance when building lots of things through each other like doing trusses or things. It also has a cool side effect of allowing you to build saved track designs that involve zero clearences, including things like switchbacks.
  • Six Frags%s's Photo

Oh, I see. Downloaded the latest build and it's indeed there.. I'm quite scary of bugs making the game crash tho, but it's an awesome feature and I'll probably use openrct2 from now on :p

Just have to remember to save every time I build something :p (or can you set an auto-save time?)

Will they ever implement 8cars functionality tho? If we could have all the important 8cars features ingame that would be awesome, like map object manipulation/edit rides/edit staff

• 5dave%s's Photo
    ^There's an auto-save function which you can set in the launcher ;)

"MFG"
  • Six Frags%s's Photo

^Found it, it was under options-misc and set to save monthly, and I changed it to weekly :p

I thought of a few more essential things I really think openrct2 could make this game so much better;

-Raise (or delete if possible) the number of map data objects in a .sv6

-Raise (or delete if possible) the number of selectable small (or large object/attractions etc) object slots in the scenario editor (currently set at 252 for small objects for example)

-Make a piece of track/entrance-exit huts invisible

-Ability to merge 2 pieces of different track types into each other

That would be the dream if those could be implemented :D

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Those are all planned, with exception of the last one. I think a better solution to that would be the addition of missing elements on each track type.

• Six Frags%s's Photo

^Yeah, I heard them talk about it on their latest podcast and it would require some graphic artist to do the sprite work for those missing pieces, which Ted said to implement would actually be quite easy.. Maybe X7 could help them on that front? :p

I also really would like to see them implement Multiplayer but I heard Ted say in the podcast he plans on implementing it in the future, so I guess that's covered..

Imagine next H2H if they managed to get it in by that time what awesome parks we would see when a whole team can build on one park all the time :o

• inthemanual%s's Photo

Someone's actively working on multiplayer already, and it sounds like they're close to getting it done, there's just some synchronization issues.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

There's currently support for invisible huts, (added last night) but it looks like shit if you reload the file in RCT2.

Attached Image: Capture.PNG

• Mattk48%s's Photo

lol, best station Ive seen in a while there.

• G Force%s's Photo

Invisible huts would really make aerials easier to make, as currently giant screenshots in OpenRCT2 show the huts hidden with the Gee hack.  Even if it doesn't look that great in normal RCT, it would be super easy to make all the huts invisible and take a large screenshot.  Hopefully this means we will get aerials for all new releases and some old ones, now that they can be done in 15 minutes as opposed to multiple hours.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

That's not quite what's happening, G Force. The issue is that if more than one thing has been made invisible on a tile, only one will actually be invisible in OpenRCT2. So certain tracks that have been made invisible will show up. This was/is an issue on the Asteroid Fields map.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading