General Chat / College Thread

• alex%s's Photo

Louis, I studied at Nottingham Trent! I did a graphic design BA, graduated in 2012. What are you studying there?

• Louis!%s's Photo

haha! no way!

I study Architecture :) in my 2nd year, although should really have been done and dusted with university ages ago

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    NYU>NTU
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

NSU>NYU>NTU

• AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

^

depending on the field of study.

I totally see the frustration with higher education within the states, and it's true that many high paying trade jobs don't require a college degree, but telling people to not get a college degree because it's expensive is totally the WRONG advice to give as a general rule of thumb.

Sure it's a bad idea to pay $200k for a degree in English/humanities unless you're 1) full ride or have substantial financial aid,  2) you're rich, or 3) you're looking to be a professor at an elite college and you don't care about being in debt and just love English. There are definitely certain degrees in which the Return of Investment is terrible and not worthwhile.

That being said, the biggest argument I can see against getting a college degree is the cost-prohibitive nature of certain colleges for certain social demographics - typically middle class America - in which you don't receive substantial financial help and need to pay out of pocket. And even this is dependent on your overall career goals in the end - if you want to become an engineer, good luck trying without a degree. Same goes for all professional career paths, from architecture to law to medicine to computer sciences to scientific research.

Whether or not you decide to get a college degree depends on a lot of factors and saying outright that it's not worthwhile is irresponsible to be completely honest.

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    avanine i was kidding hahaha
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

avanine i was kidding hahaha

My comment is directed more towards Steve than you :p

• Coupon%s's Photo
    Accepted to Northwestern U and Notre Dame. Denied at NYU. I don't get it. :/
    I didn't want to be by inthemanuel anyways...
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo

Check your privilege coups. Both are elite out of state schools that you are lucky to have as options.  Some people have to live out their middle class dreams in Ohio all their life (Just kidding, OSU is the best at everything)

• Maxwell%s's Photo

I'm pretty sure OSU isn't the best at being in Orlando. GO KNIGHTS!

• Twiggy%s's Photo
    So I just finished my general tour and engineering college tours of University of Tennessee. Not to be super creepy, but I think I did see Maverix when we peeked in on a class. I find it really weird that the first person I saw was a guy in a Fury 325 shirt, and even weirder that I recognized him as Maverix. I guess lurking around here and the Post Your Picture thread helped me know it was him. Pretty cool stuff.

Anyways, UT was an awesome place along with the city of Knoxville. I really loved it. Still have to tour Clemson, but UT already feels like the place I wanna be. Plus the fact Dollywood is 30 minutes away is rocking.
  • Sephiroth%s's Photo

I'm a retard, nevermind :p

• SlayMeGaga%s's Photo

I'm going to Columbia College Chicago to major in Fashion Photography and minor in Fashion Business.

• MorganFan%s's Photo

hot

• Coupon%s's Photo

man i hate the whole college process. i feel so burned out as a result of everything that ive done throughout high school in order to get into a good school, but now im struggling to even find the motivation to do simple worksheets for homework. i just want to relax a bit as ive been getting like 4 hours of sleep or less per school night for the last 3 years, and my grades are suffering as a result. im legitimately afraid of getting my admissions rescinded unless i can find the motivation to fix my grades. fuck

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    University of Dayton. Applying to medical school this summer. UD was the only school I applied to because I knew it's where I wanted to go and would've been a safety school anyways. No med school here, so I'm hoping maybe Ohio State or Cincy.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    I'm officially choosing Colorado School of Mines. I'm excited as hell.
  • Steve%s's Photo

man i hate the whole college process. i feel so burned out as a result of everything that ive done throughout high school in order to get into a good school, but now im struggling to even find the motivation to do simple worksheets for homework. i just want to relax a bit as ive been getting like 4 hours of sleep or less per school night for the last 3 years, and my grades are suffering as a result. im legitimately afraid of getting my admissions rescinded unless i can find the motivation to fix my grades. fuck

Let us know how worth it it was in 5 years when you have a piece of paper, a job you didn't study for and tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt under your belt. Higher education in this country blows my mind. 
  • Coupon%s's Photo
    I'm going to have a maximum of $8k in debt though.. Scholarships, man. It'll probably be worth it for for me
  • robbie92%s's Photo

It's also why you go for a professional degree ;)

I'm walking out of college with very little debt and a well-paying job in the field that I studied. If you choose your degree carefully, it's not hard to find a place to really apply it to.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading