General Chat / College Thread

• inthemanual%s's Photo

When do burritos NOT have rice in them? Without rice and beans, it's just a soft taco.

• robbie92%s's Photo

Bean and cheese burrito, AKA a picky child's best friend (along with a cheese quesadilla).

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

When do burritos NOT have rice in them? Without rice and beans, it's just a soft taco.

nothing on the internet has ever made me angrier than this 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I mean, technically, you can have a riceless burrito, but the difference between a burrito and a soft taco is essentially the filler, and rice is probably the most ubiquitous and substantial filler in burritos.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    Burritos with refried beans are delicious, and not mushy at all. Very little air in them.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

rice is probably the most ubiquitous and substantial filler in burritos.

ok so theres no "authentic" burrito bc its not mexican anyway but rice in a burrito in a trend started in san francisco and spread from there, ie, its a fucking perversion of a burrito 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

But it's so common it's the norm now. Ice cream didn't always come in a cone, but that's "traditional" now. Dishes evolve over time, as trends pick up and/or die.

• Austin55%s's Photo

The thing is though, at least here, both still exist. It sortoff boiles down to Tex-Mex vs. AuthenticMex.

• Maxwell%s's Photo

Can we just make a burrito topic if we want to discuss them because it's kind of annoying to see there's an update to this "college thread," and all it is is just burrito talk... 

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    Guys,

I just wanted to stop by to say,

kek
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

Back on topic,

I'm officially going to Colorado School of Mines for mechanical engineering!

• Austin55%s's Photo

Is it weird that'd I'd never heard of that school until you brought it up a few weeks back?

• AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

@Avanine - I agree with you to an extent. There are certain fields that essentially require schooling, as a rule. To generalize it, basically Sciences/Engineering and Business colleges are going to be required for getting either to the next step in education or to land a job at the position you're looking for. When you start to venture into some other areas (liberal arts), you're going to see a huge drop in the applicability of your degree outside of education.

To the extent that attending a 'big name' school, or selective school, is a golden ticket so to speak, I disagree. Sure there may be connections to more high-profile jobs and companies, but that doesn't mean these are the only companies that offer well-paying jobs.

Going on to higher levels of education continues to make where you completed a lower level less important. For instance, getting into a undergrad program relies on high school metrics, getting into a post-grad program relies on undergrad metrics, and so on. It might help slightly to get to the next level, but still the metrics will be more important than the institution. Where you went to undergrad is really just a measure of high school performance in conjunction with financial influences. Do you really think someone's going to care where you went to for undergrad once you're going for a PhD, MD, DDS, etc?

I think the whole idea that Ivy League schools (and the like) are only for geniuses who are going to be superstars in their career is glaringly romanticized.

I don't think I've ever posited that argument though.

Undergraduate affiliation is not the most important thing in your career, but you cannot deny the influence a name has on your network. Alumni networks from these prestigious universities are international, and they help their own more than you can imagine. This is not to say non-prestigious universities don't offer quality instruction and career benefits, but it's rather than prestigious universities are prestigious for a reason - and that being their alumni networks more than their quality of education. That was my argument, nothing more. I don't see how you thought I was arguing that Ivy institutions are only for geniuses?

As for high paying jobs, many firms only hire out of certain schools. If you want to work for a specific firm, better look into their hiring record to see if they have any affiliations. And yes, they are not the only high paying jobs out there. Plumbing can be high paying. Doesn't mean that a degree won't help you get a dream job you may not even have the chance to apply for in the first place otherwise. Doors have opened for me that would never have even existed if it weren't for alumni connections helping me on my behalf. These were absolute strangers that lent me a hand simply because of university affiliation.

Also, many of my friends are medical students. Where you did your undergraduate education does factor into the race for MD applicants, albeit not as weighted as other professional degrees. It's even more important for MBAs and JDs: name and reputation matter just as much as grades and test scores in certain cases. It's not the end all, but it matters. Just saying.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    I moved in today
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

I moved in yesterday! High five!

• G Force%s's Photo

I moved in today

• csw%s's Photo

I moved in yesterday! High five!

• Maxwell%s's Photo

I move in Saturday boo...?

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I recently heard I will go back to studying again this year, so that's good. I will move into a place of my own too, very soon. Downtown Amsterdam, bitches! None of that campus bullshit!
  • Maxwell%s's Photo

I'll have you know that my apartment is just off campus for this semester. Right behind Bright House Stadium as well. GO KNIGHTS!!!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading