General Chat / College Thread

• wheres_walto%s's Photo
    On top of that, actually do productive things outside of class. My eventual senior thesis started as a hobby that gradually became more refined and advanced. Don't expect the degree and the classes to suddenly make you an attractive hire, go out and get it!
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

I'm walking out of college with very little debt

Was tulane, like, full-ride then? Shit's ridiculous.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

how will physics and math get me :p

it doesn't matter, my plan is grad-academia anyway

• csw%s's Photo

dr dirt, I have some friends going to Dayton! 

Steve, I don't get why you resent college so much. To each his own I guess. 

I'm super excited for Purdue in the fall, it'll be great I think. 

• chorkiel%s's Photo

From what I have learned over the years going to college/university/whatever is not per se about what they teach you, but it's at least just as much about who you get to know.

• AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

It's also why you go for a professional degree ;)

I'm walking out of college with very little debt and a well-paying job in the field that I studied. If you choose your degree carefully, it's not hard to find a place to really apply it to.

Architecture is not one of the best fields to go into if you're looking for job stability and high pay. Just saying. ;)

Imo the most lucrative + stable fields would be engineering, computer science, and general sciences if you're interested in med school. That and Law, but law isn't what it used to be. Plus it's boring. :p
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

From what I have learned over the years going to college/university/whatever is not per se about what they teach you, but it's at least just as much about who you get to know.

This is VERY true. Networking opportunities is huge in almost every field. You cannot underestimate the alumni network of big name schools - they are the ones who will get you that high paying job later on in your life.
  • dr dirt%s's Photo
    @Avanine - I agree with you to an extent. There are certain fields that essentially require schooling, as a rule. To generalize it, basically Sciences/Engineering and Business colleges are going to be required for getting either to the next step in education or to land a job at the position you're looking for. When you start to venture into some other areas (liberal arts), you're going to see a huge drop in the applicability of your degree outside of education.

To the extent that attending a 'big name' school, or selective school, is a golden ticket so to speak, I disagree. Sure there may be connections to more high-profile jobs and companies, but that doesn't mean these are the only companies that offer well-paying jobs.

Going on to higher levels of education continues to make where you completed a lower level less important. For instance, getting into a undergrad program relies on high school metrics, getting into a post-grad program relies on undergrad metrics, and so on. It might help slightly to get to the next level, but still the metrics will be more important than the institution. Where you went to undergrad is really just a measure of high school performance in conjunction with financial influences. Do you really think someone's going to care where you went to for undergrad once you're going for a PhD, MD, DDS, etc?

I think the whole idea that Ivy League schools (and the like) are only for geniuses who are going to be superstars in their career is glaringly romanticized.
  • Coupon%s's Photo

Officially attending rice university next year woo! Chose it over higher ranked schools but the aid was too good

• Austin55%s's Photo
    You have to change your avatar to a Texas flag now bro
  • RCT2day%s's Photo

Congrats, Coups. Rice is a great school and sounds like it won't cost too much either for you

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    Makes me glad i'm not in texas
  • Coupon%s's Photo

dang it i forgot it was in texas shit

• Austin55%s's Photo
    just don't forget about the Alamo.
  • robbie92%s's Photo

The what?

• Xeccah%s's Photo

Plus it's in the worst city in texas lol.

• Cocoa%s's Photo

some people complain about rice in their burritos, but I actually really like it. Its a nice counterbalance to the rest of the flavors, especially if got some nice lime juice and coriander in it

• Austin55%s's Photo
    What about in fajitas? Is that taking it to far?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

I like rice in a burrito, i like no rice in a burrito.

• Lotte%s's Photo

there's burrito's with rice in them?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading