RCT Discussion / NE Needs New Parkmakers

• Six Frags%s's Photo

Anywho, i agree with jon and voodoo here. To me it seems that the PT is inflating the status of everyone who is in it.

Does it? :rolleyes:

SF
  • SFAW Fan%s's Photo
    I'd do an LL wannabe collabo. I just might get in that. :)
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    OK Sig Frags, we get it lol! But seriously, I think you deserve to be up there as well.

I don't know how i got up there that high, i haven't shown anything in ages. And I didn't enter the Pro Tour either. Maybe that will come back to haunt me, who knows? It does seem that everyone who is in the Pro Tour is automatically thought higher of, but then, they took the initiative to enter the contest, while others didn't.

With all the extra detail everyone is having to put into parks these days in order to create something "new", it is generally taking longer to build parks. And, as gymkid rightly said, there will be a sudden influx of parks being released, just due to when they were started.

I disagree with making cBass a parkmaker, for a number of reasons. There is no doubting the guy has talent, and good, well executed ideas. However, i feel he is channelling these talents in the wrong direction in order to be a parkmaker. Just look at the name. Parkmaker. A maker of parks, presumably. To my knowledge, everything cBass has done so far has been a stunning idea, with a badly fitting rollercoaster in it. Wincosin wasn't a park, it was a city, with randomly, badly designed rollercoasters placed in it. His Pro Tour Alien round entry was monumental, but still was a piece of architecture with a rollercoaster placed in it. His Escher piece is the same, as far as i can see.

What he does, he does with far more skill than I can ever hope to have. I just feel that making him a parkmaker makes no sense. Make a park, prove me wrong! ;)X
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I don't have a problem with cBass being promoted to parkmaker. Rememeber that as this point RCT has become an art form, and cBass is an artist. I don't see how that is so different from the direction that Coaster Ed has gone. Battlefield RCT isn't a park, it's like a movie, and a really good one at that.

Now that RCT is art the artists that use rct will finally get justice, cBass is evedence of this.

ride6
  • Blitz%s's Photo

OK Sig Frags, we get it lol! But seriously, I think you deserve to be up there as well.

I don't know how i got up there that high, i haven't shown anything in ages. And I didn't enter the Pro Tour either. Maybe that will come back to haunt me, who knows? It does seem that everyone who is in the Pro Tour is automatically thought higher of, but then, they took the initiative to enter the contest, while others didn't.

With all the extra detail everyone is having to put into parks these days in order to create something "new", it is generally taking longer to build parks. And, as gymkid rightly said, there will be a sudden influx of parks being released, just due to when they were started.

I disagree with making cBass a parkmaker, for a number of reasons. There is no doubting the guy has talent, and good, well executed ideas. However, i feel he is channelling these talents in the wrong direction in order to be a parkmaker. Just look at the name. Parkmaker. A maker of parks, presumably. To my knowledge, everything cBass has done so far has been a stunning idea, with a badly fitting rollercoaster in it. Wincosin wasn't a park, it was a city, with randomly, badly designed rollercoasters placed in it. His Pro Tour Alien round entry was monumental, but still was a piece of architecture with a rollercoaster placed in it. His Escher piece is the same, as far as i can see.

What he does, he does with far more skill than I can ever hope to have. I just feel that making him a parkmaker makes no sense. Make a park, prove me wrong!  ;)X

is it cozy inside that little box of yours?
    It seems fairly cramped in there if you ask me...
  • Micool%s's Photo

I think a system in which there's a Semi Parkmaker Award would be appropriate, for those who have had Runner Up Spotlights, or those who are sort of verging on the way to being a parkmaker. You see, for people like myself, I know there's no chance I'll be a Parkmaker, but if we had a Semi Parkmaker system, at least there's something realistic for me to aim at...

You mean like, the ones who are under the radar so to speak? Oh, yeah.... :angel:

and blitzie, lmao.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    luckily for you, blitz, turtle doesn´t choose the parkmakers..

turtle, i must totally disagree with you here. I don´t care if we´re called parkmakers, we´re parkmakers because we have made (and hopefully still do =)) good stuff in rct. Whether that´s mala-esque worlds, c-bass- like worlds, traditional parks, non-traditional parks, or parks that don´t look like real parks in the 1st place, or actually anything else, doesn´t matter one bit. The only thing that does matter, and this is basically coming directly from iris, is that there has to be something there. A SV4 or SV6 so he can put something on your potential parkmaker page. Some of you definitely have the quality, but don´t have any quanitity. I don´t think you can expect iris to set you up with an empty parkmakers page, do you?

I really tend not to like this topic. It´s only gonna improve all kinds of people feeling good, making the list worth more than it should blablabla nonsense. imo, whenever anybody, even not on the list, actually releases a good full map and maybe something small like PT/H2H/Parkwars alongside with it, should be able to get a parkmaker spot. And really, it should all be decided then, and not before you all have made parks.
  • Mike Robbins%s's Photo

I just feel like I'm overlooked a lot.

You and me both.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

Wincosin wasn't a park, it was a city, with randomly, badly designed rollercoasters placed in it.

it was a state.
  • BigFoot%s's Photo

You and me both.

I think in some ways, its your own fault Mike for being overlooked. You have the skills for sure, and you, unlike many others on that list, have the ability to actually finish a park. But I think that may has hurt you in the long run.

You build good parks, and numerous amounts of them. But they're just that, another 'good' park by Mike Robbins. And you've been doing this longer and more consitent than anyone, which just makes your parks almost cliche with one another. I think what you need, is to make a park that really stands out on its own, something that will put you on the charts. I'm not suggesting you change your style, I'm just saying maybe you should expand it and attempt to make a 'fantastic' park or a 'amazing' park, instead of just 'good'.

As for Freak, well, dude, I don't know what to say. I think your parks are on the level or higher than most of the guys on that list, but the thing is, well, you're LL and this site as well as the community is leaning towards Rct2 these days at least in up coming talent. For anyone who's not already 'huge' to make a name for themselves in LL needs to really expand their capabilites and imagination, to surpass the endless possiblities Rct2 has.

Which is odd, you're very creative, just sometimes I wish you'd be creative on a 'whole' in your park, and not just an area or a ride.

And on a more personal opinion note, though many would disagree, I'd say Rct2 is alot easier to build in than LL, simply because of the lengths and measures you can take in the game with no effort. In LL, creativity with Ride tracks and scenary were just as important as anything else you built in your park, and thats what made you who you were, is how creative and consistently creative you could be. In Rct2, scenary is spoon-fed to you by a few good men, and your creativity is no longer restricted by your imagination. I think this can only be proven by noticing how many people sprung up out of no where when Rct2 came into full blow, we now have 20-30 people who can build 'almost' Parkmaker quality parks in Rct2, yet before the sequel, the number was much lower, and the prize was much greater.

As long as I'm ranting, I guess I could say I think the bar here at NE needs to be raised again. I say don't make any new parkmakers. Not until they have proven themselves on numerous occassions rather than just a coaster in a contest or so forth. I have no complaints about any of our current Parkmakers, though I would wish some of them would actually build something, otherwise its almost like they're taking advantage of NE; being selected to the highest ranks in the RCT Community, and then not producing anything afterwords....

Along with the selectivity of parkmakers being closely scrutinized, I think the bar needs to be raised as for Runner-ups as well. I have no compliants with the Spotlights chosen, they always have proven themselves worthy. Unfortunitly, I can't say the same for the Runner-ups. It used to be an honor to get a Runner-up here at NE, and I'm sure it still is, yet it has lost its 'glow' that makes it an achievement worth getting. Runner-up was something a member would strive for, working to make their parks worthy of the award, working to make it presentable to NE. And now, it seems you only must finish a Rct2 park to get Runner-up. Sure their are those who have finished parks and not won, but honestly, when comparing the Rct2 Runner-ups to the LL's of the past---they don't match up at all, the LL parks are on an entierly different level of creativity and ablitity to carry themes and so forth, they're runner-ups for a reason, and thats because they stand out amoungst the other hundreds of parks, not just 'finished'.

So in that long rant, that went way off topic which i apologize for. I guess I'd say I'm all for up and coming talent, but i would still rather see the "Bar of Glory" at NE raised. Not only will it make those who do surpass this bar guarenteed the best of the best, but it should also aide in encouraging others to strive even harder to excel in the community.

MM
  • rctfreak2000%s's Photo
    Nice little rant there, but iris explained to me why I wasn't on there, and frankly, I agree with him.

My parks just need to have more too them. My last two were just way too similar. I gotta get out there and try something new, something I'm hoping to do with Yokugoru.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo

And on a more personal opinion note, though many would disagree, I'd say Rct2 is alot easier to build in than LL, simply because of the lengths and measures you can take in the game with no effort.  In LL, creativity with Ride tracks and scenary were just as important as anything else you built in your park, and thats what made you who you were, is how creative and consistently creative you could be.  In Rct2, scenary is spoon-fed to you by a few good men, and your creativity is no longer restricted by your imagination.  I think this can only be proven by noticing how many people sprung up out of no where when Rct2 came into full blow, we now have 20-30 people who can build 'almost' Parkmaker quality parks in Rct2, yet before the sequel, the number was much lower, and the prize was much greater.

I have no complaints about any of our current Parkmakers, though I would wish some of them would actually build something, otherwise its almost like they're taking advantage of NE; being selected to the highest ranks in the RCT Community, and then not producing anything afterwords....

Perhaps some of those parkmakers just don't have as much time to build anymore. I don't know what you mean about taking advantage of NE. Being selected as a parkmaker is a privelage but it isn't a job or anything. The people who have the time, energy, and interest will continue to build parks. The others will move on. That's just how it goes.

As for RCT2 being easier, that might be so for a lot of people. But at the same time, I think it's become pretty hard to distinguish yourself in RCT2. So many people can create detailed architecture now that a lot of parks start to look alike. You still have to innovate to really impress people and that requires just as much creativity.
  • Blood of Mortal Angel%s's Photo

What he does, he does with far more skill than I can ever hope to have. I just feel that making him a parkmaker makes no sense. Make a park, prove me wrong!  ;)X

You need an imagination... 8@
  • BigFoot%s's Photo
    Maybe more elaborate on the 'taking advantage' part of my previous post, I was merely thinking people have the mindset that the 'Parkmaker' status is a Hall of Fame. It seems people get to Parkmaker, and then stall at making parks.

How many parkmakers have we had that have been given a spot, and then retired shortly thereafter? Or how many current parkmakers have neglected to make a park since recieveing a spot? Thats taking advantage in my mind, getting to such a position that gives you and the site reconition for the best Parkmakers out their, yet half of them dont' make parks anymore?

And I agree, some people just don't have the time to play as often as they'd like, or as much as we'd like them to for that matter. I would presume thats why iris is on the 'retired' list himself, he just doesn't have the time. While that may not be the reason he's removed himself, its safe to say he's no longer a parkmaker with just a name on a list and nothing being released, a shame in itself for such a great parkmaker as he is.

And I wasn't singling anyone out when I mentioned inactive parkmakers, you almost sounded, Ed, that you thought I was referring to you. And really, after all the work you've done with NE's competitions and so forth, their really is no reason for you to think that, so why should i bother going further? ;)

But yes, I do agree that people are finally starting to seperate themselves in Rct2, more noticable in those that go out on a limb and take chances with the game, CBass for one (look where he is).

Yea.
  • gymkid dude%s's Photo
    if you are referring to adam and mort...adam has a huge RCT2 project going on UniVersity Sendoff, and Mort is basically done with Crypto and his Portal of Heaven park.

Cbass was named parkmaker 3 days ago.

Everyone else has released a megapark.
  • BigFoot%s's Photo

And I wasn't singling anyone out when I mentioned inactive parkmakers, you almost sounded,

Like i said, I didn't have anyone particular in my mind when I made that comment, though it seems to have struck a sour chord with a few, maybe many once they read it. That could be a good thing.

In any case, I would think we'd be better off seeing more works done from Parkmakers, I understand most have something in the works, but to often you see 'parks in the works', and nothing ever becomes off them.

But again, not singling anyone at all out, just stating that Parkmakers

Blah. Why bother.
  • Jacko Shanty%s's Photo

badly designed rollercoasters placed in it.

The general idea, I think he said, was to recreate one of those un-proportional cartoony maps of Wisconsin in theme park form. So he made rides that were more symbolic of details or themes in Wisconsin. The coasters weren't supposed to be well-designed - but creative instead. "Black ice" was my favorite coaster.

I liked the Quest for the White Balloon (I forgot the name) idea the best though.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    People said the same thing about Timothy Cross' coasters which is a shame because in doing so they overlooked how incredble Fantastic Wonders was. Nobody's perfect here, we all have areas where we could improve. cBass is way ahead of the pack in creativity and theming which more than makes up for his coasters, which aren't bad, they just aren't what is considered realistic. Parkmaking is a word used to describe people who use the tools in the game to create SV4 or SV6 files. It doesn't matter if it's a park or something else. Wisconsin was revolutionary and so was Infestation and so is the Escher section. Not only is cBass a deserving parkmaker, he's near the top of the pack I'd say.
  • Janus%s's Photo
    Just how did I get that overrated? Well, thanks, I guess.
  • sloB%s's Photo
    It's too bad you didn't like my NE Design. Well, maybe I'll try again with it
    and put that layout in my PT. We'll see though.

I definitley agree that the architecture and such in there was really just 'nice.'
    I'm starting to step out of the box in my PT a bit and I can't wait to show my entrance.

I wish I could show it now, but I can't. *tear

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading