AD Releases / Great Northwest Park

• wpnw%s's Photo
    The park is roughly based on a (real life) proposal, by the people who build Kentucky Kingdom, to build a world class theme park in the Seattle Metro area, based on the Pacific Northwest. Due to local governmental bitching, the real park is currently dead in the water. So, for now, this will have to do for us Seattle-ites (we really don't have a theme park here - Enchanted Village, which Six Flags just bought - is pretty dumpy right now, though it is getting a rather pricy overhaul, as well as a wicked looking woodie for next season).

Park areas include:

- Coastal Indian village with a B+M flyer (see pic below)
    - Alpine Mountain area, complete with glaciers
    - Mining area, thus far not yet built, tentatively called "Monte Cristo" (a real place in Washington btw)
    - Farmland area (small-ish)
    - Small fishing village
    - Small river canyon area

This really ended up being more of an experimentation in RCT2's features than anything else. It gave me a chance to play with architecture construction, and the stacking features well. My original aim was to have the park themed generally to areas in the Pacific Northwest, with smaller areas specific to different parts of the park (centered around a coaster or something). Unfortunately, after I finished all the coasters, I realized that I make the map much too large, and as a result, there is a lot of empty space.

While some of the theming and buildings turned out really well, and this map includes 3 or 4 of my favorite coasters to date, I'm a little displeased with how it turned out. If I were to re-do it, I'd have probably shrunk the map by 40-50 squares, and consolidated the 9 rollercoasters into, maybe 6 or 7. What I am giving heavy consideration to, however, is taking the smaller theme areas I'd done in this park, and doing a series of mini-parks based around a single coaster. This wouldn't happen until after my next park is released however.

Download
    Screens in my sig.
  • Final Standing%s's Photo
    Screens don't look that bad. I'll look at it l8r.
  • VegasCoaster%s's Photo
    For the download I get one of your other parks Peninsula something or other.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Wow I like all of the screens on your page even the ones from your two older parks none of which I've seen before. I still can't get used to RCT2 architecture but it looks like you put a lot of thought into it and the coasters look well designed and the theming carefully placed. VegasCoaster is right though, the download is Peninsula Park not the Great Northwest park. You should get that fixed cause I wanna see the whole park and I look forward to more parks from you in the future.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    I really like the giant crane. I've always wanted to do something like that. :)
  • wpnw%s's Photo
    Aaak! Stupid machine linked the wrong file (the map with the crane isn't the right one), it's fixed now.
  • CoasterkidMWM%s's Photo
    Try improving the pacing on your coasters. Some got slow at the end, others were great. Thats all u really need to work on. It needs more random things like jagged rocks and stuff like that. It look very straightforward and almost realistic, i swear it could have been built as a real live working park somewhere in the world. Good job, this park deserves more credit then its getting. Also kill the giant tube custom supports, they are ugly and way too thick.
  • VegasCoaster%s's Photo
    Great park. Some of the coasters go a bit slow through the inversions, mainly on the heartline rolls. I liked the rapids ride, looked very realistic. Some of the custom supports looked a bit over used and cluttered the area on the invert. The park was great, and looked realistic. Looved the haunted mansion to by the way.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    My tastes are often different than most so when I see a park that really excites me and it doesn't get a lot of recognition I figure it's my duty to push it a little bit. More people should download this park, it's really very good. Actually, this park has what to my eyes is the best looking architecture yet in RCT2. The station buildings especially are quite impressive and some of the rides (the mine train in particular) are very well done. The large steel coasters could have been better designed but other than that this is a stunning example of a realistic park with lots of great ideas and real-life atmosphere. I haven't looked at it enough yet but I wanted to make sure this park got some recognition because I think this definately would have been deserving of a runner-up spot if it were sent in for the Spotlight. It wasn't perfect but there's a ton of potential here. Excellent work wpnw, this is the kind of parkmaking that puts RCT2 to good use.
  • UltraMagnusLRLL%s's Photo
    I agree with Coaster Ed... This park has not gotten enough recognition. I have used screenshots of this park as MAJOR inspiration for my own coaster stations, and will continue to use them. Also, being employed by Starbucks, I was forced to laugh out loud when I saw that he included a Starbucks or two in this park. I suppose it is an Icon of the great northwest, isn't it? But that's not even the best thing about this park. There's NO custom scenery! Not a single square is touched by a custom object. This park should go down in history as being the first TRUELY great RCT2 release. Kudos are in order, wpnw. I tip my hat to thee!
  • wpnw%s's Photo
    I'm glad that you all like it. I think maybe you like it too much, cause now I've got some sort of archi-god reputation to live up to in my next park. Thanks a lot... 8@ :p ;)