Custom Scenery Exchange / Spacek's Custom Rides

• olddtfan51%s's Photo

Really nice work cant wait.

• spacek531%s's Photo

Four new tracked rides in only so many hours! Three tractor rides and a barrel ride.

The barrel ride was streamed from inception to publish in 90 minutes on my twitch channel http://twitch.tv/nwspacek. Unfortunately it appears the stream was not archived; I am very sorry to those who missed it.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

How hard do you think it'd be to make an S&S Free Fly? I started and couldn't finish, but you're far better at modelling than me. It's not a popular ride type but it's something a bit different.

• spacek531%s's Photo

I forsee the sticking points being: animation, Z-fighting, and figuring out which hacks to perform to get it to look right in a park. The hacks might be the most challenging because I am not all that adept at what track can do in RCT2. There is pretty much zero substitute for it, which fits with my 'fill in the lineup' philosophy. No harm in trying.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I'm pretty sure the animation can be done. It's a swinging ride, basically - you've just got two sets of seats to deal with. You can't make them move independently so they'd have to move in lockstep, but I don't think it would look too bad. Z-fighting could be a concern though.

The best track style to put it on is probably the looping coaster but you'd have to merge onto lay down for the inverted sections.

It would require more updates to the tool to make it work, though.

• spacek531%s's Photo

UPDATE: the barrel ride has been upgraded to version 1.1 to facilitate hacking like this:

unknown.png

Specifically, the number of zero cars has been downgraded from 1 to 0, so that using the "disable vehicle limits" cheat does not force the barrels to 2 cars per train minimum.

• spacek531%s's Photo

It would require more updates to the tool to make it work, though.

I know you have made swinging rides, so I am not sure what updates would have to be made. As long as the clamp function works I can see how I will do it.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

An update would be required to allow the train to run in both orientations (i.e above and below the track)

• spacek531%s's Photo

I thought that was done by having 1 car for the above sprites and 1 car for the below sprites. Tests in game seem to suggest it, but it might be because there aren't enough sprites. The only thing would be forcing the tool to render the second, unused car.

• tce_k%s's Photo

Have you ever tried your hand at making flat rides?

A Rhythm Dancer would be amazing.

• MattNE2014%s's Photo

tce_k....this is R8DANCER.  Is this kind of what you are looking for?

11636.png

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I thought that was done by having 1 car for the above sprites and 1 car for the below sprites. Tests in game seem to suggest it, but it might be because there aren't enough sprites. The only thing would be forcing the tool to render the second, unused car.

It is. So the tool would need to be altered to render each vehicle into two vehicle slots. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a flag that needs to be set somewhere but we could test if that's actually required.

• spacek531%s's Photo

It is. So the tool would need to be altered to render each vehicle into two vehicle slots. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a flag that needs to be set somewhere but we could test if that's actually required.

I know there is a flag, but from my rudimentary tests I do not think it is required. It might affect the ratings some way, so it might be worth looking into.

EDIT: 29nolGq.png

you can merge lay-down coaster track onto "inverted" flying coaster track and it works.

EDIT 2: I had a thought about a quick and dirty hack to make it render the sprites: step 1. configure the 0th car perfectly. Step 2. copy and paste it over to the 1st car. Step 3. reconfigure the 1st car so it swings properly et al. Step 4. build the ride with the train car bytes hardcoded either in project.c or dat.c

• tce_k%s's Photo

@MattNE

Nope, it's a standard fairground ride, this one. It doesn't go up or down... it goes left to right and in a circle, then switches directions a lot.

8716231755_4c2375ff5a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• RCThibo%s's Photo

@MattNE

Nope, it's a standard fairground ride, this one. It doesn't go up or down... it goes left to right and in a circle, then switches directions a lot.

8716231755_4c2375ff5a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The program Spacek uses is only able to make CTR, sadly.

• tce_k%s's Photo

The program Spacek uses is only able to make CTR, sadly.

Ah, okay. No probs.

• spacek531%s's Photo

I have made a big change to the tool recently, one that allows me to group as many models into a "peep" as I want. This means, among other things, peeps can be animated. Animated peeps are difficult because in the full 3D view and in the enlarged preview, the joints can look much uglier than in the final render. It is also difficult because the tool uses parametric animation instead of keyframe animation, which means I have to type equations for all movement, which is not very easy!

However, not all is lost and some interesting results can be achieved. Here is my first animated-peeps ride:

(better quality here: https://gfycat.com/L...ulCleanerwrasse)

LavishGratefulCleanerwrasse-size_restric

A Sheffield handcar, of course, slightly resized to fit on the narrow-gauge RCT track. Produced in roughly 6 hours. Download coming soon.

• saxman1089%s's Photo

I love it! I might actually use it in my current project.

• tce_k%s's Photo

That's great work, some real cool stuff you're creating. Looking forward to using this in a park I'm doing.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers.

• spacek531%s's Photo

Time for a special feature, featuring the handcar:

As I talked about on the Fischbarrel stream, objects are rotated around the origin of the world (I incorrectly said centroid). This means any parts you want to rotate around a specific place need to be placed in a specific place. Namely, the origin. This can make things look rather silly especially if there are multiple moving parts. Things tend to cluster around the origin, and this one looks particularly strange because there are peep parts involved:

38rVseR.png

The handcar has 8 moving parts: 2 axles, 1 handle, 1 connecting rod, and 2 sets of torsos and arms, and the animation is a combination of sine waves affecting position and rotation in different ways.

Tags