General Chat / Global Warming

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

All I meant was insects don't look like animals.

...How is that a definition? Or relevant?
    Fungi look like plants, too. I suppose they are?

Spiders aren't insects. But they do do a damn fine job of keeping the insect population down. Perhaps you'd rather be over-run by insects in your spiderless world?
  • JJ%s's Photo
    insects don't look like animals. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo

...How is that a definition? Or relevant?
    Fungi look like plants, too. I suppose they are?

Spiders aren't insects. But they do do a damn fine job of keeping the insect population down. Perhaps you'd rather be over-run by insects in your spiderless world?

It is neither a definition or relevant. All I meant was that when people think of animals, they don't think of disgusting shit.

I know spdierse aren't insects (mind you, the great movie The Covenant says tehy are lol). I know, I don't really want them to go. I am just so terrified of them I sometimes can not help myself. In an ideal world, imo, there would be no spiders, and no insects, and no other fucking prick animals. Of coures, I hear insects are vital to ecology, so that doesn't work.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    I know one animal that could go extinct that would have a benefit for the whole world. The human.
  • marsh%s's Photo

Some can. Some can't. Of course, by some definitions, flies and other such insects are not animals

so your saying flys dont feel pain?
    Imagin yourself as a fly, a person stomps your body beetween his shoe and the ground, then he lifts it & your still alive, for minets after it too, so you sit there in pain and agony, just because you where making a harmless buzzing sound
  • gir%s's Photo

It is neither a definition or relevant. All I meant was that when people think of animals, they don't think of disgusting shit.

No, what you meant is that when you think of animals, you don't think of "disgusting shit." I agree with MA, this is probably the most ridiculous thing you've said. I know you're into contradicting science and all but...damn.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    Exactly what is disgusting to one can be adorable to another. Some spiders are kinda cute.
  • marsh%s's Photo

Some spiders are kinda cute

yea, i have an asome one with wierd red spike thingys on its back
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo

I know one animal that could go extinct that would have a benefit for the whole world. The human.

*hands JJ a gun*
    Okay, you go first.
    *hides*
    **BANG!!**
    *lolz @ the stupid neo-pagan earth-worshipper*

so your saying flys dont feel pain?
    Imagin yourself as a fly, a person stomps your body beetween his shoe and the ground, then he lifts it & your still alive, for minets after it too, so you sit there in pain and agony, just because you where making a harmless buzzing sound

Harmless? My ass. It is distracting, and irksome, and flies are covered in putricense and filthy fucking diseases.

I fucking hate flies, and if one was big enough, I'd be scared too.

No, what you meant is that when you think of animals, you don't think of "disgusting shit." I agree with MA, this is probably the most ridiculous thing you've said. I know you're into contradicting science and all but...damn.

I'm really confused. So this is MORE ridiculous than the other stuff I said? I thought this was more normal, especially in the eyes of a bunch of lefties like you?

Exactly what is disgusting to one can be adorable to another. Some spiders are kinda cute.

The good thing about this is it shows difference of opinion, always a good thing. Otherwise we'd all be screwed.

The bad thing about this is there are people out there who would see a spider and not be scared.

yea, i have an asome one with wierd red spike thingys on its back

Wait....people ACTUALLY have pet spiders in real life? I thought only tough guys in movies did? marsh you're fuckin' crazy.

EDIT: Funny story: At my school today some stupid vegans set up a vegan booth and were giving out free vegan cookies, so I said, "Okay, since I hate vegans, I'll take a cookie and therefore be fucking over their movement, as this cookie will not make me one, and they will have wasted money." The cookie was horrific, because there was no animal products in it (I didn't know cookies had animal products in them, probably milk or something? But you could tell). ANYWAYS, they had posters of bloodied pigs and a video of a slaugherhouse where pigs were being tortured (I'm sure you've seen this kind of thing before, it's kind of like my anti-abortion stuff, except of animals) or whatever, and all it did was make me sorry I didn't have bacon for breakfast, it made me hungry for some meat, I told them, so I went and ate some meat after. Frankly, watching anti-meat propaganda is rather enjoyable while tearing into a nice, rare steak. Here's some videos: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=w9KScEdVJ1A, http://www.youtube.c...feature=related, http://www.youtube.c...feature=related, evidentally that's supposed to make me not eat meat, or go to the zoo, or something, but all it does is make me hungry??!!

Edited by Kevin Enns, 12 November 2008 - 08:46 PM.

• ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Kevin, what you fail to realize is that even the animals you don't like are necessary to keep the planet's ecology working properly.

Returning to (I think) the original point: if the polar bear were to see a dramatic decrease in population, their prey would see an equally dramatic increase in population. Which would cause a dramatic decrease in *their* prey... so on and so forth. It's a shockwave, and ecological systems are incredibly fragile to begin with.

And while humanity generally sits on top of this system (given that nothing really eats us) we're not immune to a collapse. If we don't look after the Earth's ecology, we will not exist. Period. An ecological collapse will kill our species.

Now, a few dead polar bears won't necessarily bring along a collapse on that scale. But your attitude that nothing but humanity bears any consideration is idiotic and somewhat dangerous.

-ACE
  • gir%s's Photo

I'm really confused. So this is MORE ridiculous than the other stuff I said? I thought this was more normal, especially in the eyes of a bunch of lefties like you?

I don't know. The other things you've talked about are disputable (theory) I guess, but you're arguing against 100% fact.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

EDIT: Funny story: At my school today some stupid vegans set up a vegan booth and were giving out free vegan cookies, so I said, "Okay, since I hate vegans, I'll take a cookie and therefore be fucking over their movement, as this cookie will not make me one, and they will have wasted money." The cookie was horrific, because there was no animal products in it (I didn't know cookies had animal products in them, probably milk or something? But you could tell). ANYWAYS, they had posters of bloodied pigs and a video of a slaugherhouse where pigs were being tortured (I'm sure you've seen this kind of thing before, it's kind of like my anti-abortion stuff, except of animals) or whatever, and all it did was make me sorry I didn't have bacon for breakfast, it made me hungry for some meat, I told them, so I went and ate some meat after. Frankly, watching anti-meat propaganda is rather enjoyable while tearing into a nice, rare steak. Here's some videos: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=w9KScEdVJ1A, http://www.youtube.c...feature=related, http://www.youtube.c...feature=related, evidentally that's supposed to make me not eat meat, or go to the zoo, or something, but all it does is make me hungry??!!

Butter, Eggs, Milk... Depends on the cookie.

And remember that time you asked me how I could be desensitized to the pictures of abortion? Yeah, about that.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    hahahahha!

hey kevin, guess what?

Flies eat those microbes/bacteria/fungus/etc that float around an build up in your house that cause disease, allergies, illness in general, etc.

So you not getting sick all the friggin time is actually the FLY's fault.
  • marsh%s's Photo

*hands JJ a gun*
    Okay, you go first.
    *hides*
    **BANG!!**
    *lolz @ the stupid neo-pagan earth-worshipper*
    Harmless? My ass. It is distracting, and irksome, and flies are covered in putricense and filthy fucking diseases.

Wait....people ACTUALLY have pet spiders in real life? I thought only tough guys in movies did? marsh you're fuckin' crazy.

1)ill volenter to go first..... but ill kill myself last

2) So a*buzzing* nois is goona kill you?

3) Yes, spiders are fucking asome! i have 2, one made a huge web and you cant even get in his cage to give him water(so i have to teare it down.... (it sucks)
  • marsh%s's Photo
    oh, and i have a funny story,
    people try to kill rats in theire house right?
    My mom has some as pets,
    1 is sick & shes paying $$$ for meds to keep it alive.
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    [quote name='Midnight Aurora' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:30 AM'
    And remember that time you asked me how I could be desensitized to the pictures of abortion? Yeah, about that.
    [/quote]
    A) Seeing bloodied animals in slaughterhouses never bothered me, even when I was a young child.
    B) Animals aren't people.
    C) But fair enough anyways.
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Kevin, its people like you and Sarah Palin that make me embarrassed to be a conservative.
  • gir%s's Photo

B) Animals aren't people.

Not all of them at least. Some 6.6 billion of them are though.
  • marsh%s's Photo

B) Animals aren't people

but people are animals
  • JJ%s's Photo
    ^ That's the exact same thing.

IF

All people = animals
    Then some animals must = people