General Chat / The logical and emotional problem of evil.

• Milo%s's Photo
    This thread delivers.
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    BTW...it's "then", not "than". "If you don't know the difference, then you should probably....". "I'd rather eat a bowl of ice cream than a bowl of....". You get the picture. First one's a typo, all following are shades of illiteracy. Which is odd, considering the amount of pseudo-intellectual fluff surrounding them.
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    I usually do not like to get involved in things like this but meh...

I feel like I've said this before but for me the earth/universe is just way to intricate and detailed for me to think that it all just 'happend'. Sure there are many theories explaining this, but to me it just doesn't make sense. The Big Bang theory sounds convincing except for the fact that they aren't sure where or how the universe was created before expanding. It's also hard for me to accept that "chemicals randomly organized themselves" and became the seed of every living thing as we know it. I agree that species evolve over time, but if so its because God set it into motion. So for me it comes down to what makes more sense? That the universe appeared out of no where and expanded creating all of the universe and that all of life came from chemicals, or that an all knowing, all powerful God created it.

Not trying to preach or sway anyone, just giving my 2 cents on the matter. If you don't like it, or you think I'm delusional then oh well...
  • Cole%s's Photo
    This is ridiculous. I'm done arguing about definitions with you.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    hey topgun, maybe we could actually get up to some rational jousting amidst this baloney. where did god come from then? why is a universe coming from nowhere a more difficult concept than a god coming from nowhere?
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I don't think anyone even knows what you're arguing. By a twist of logic and semantics, you can conclude that no one was able to defeat your point, so you win! Jesus would be proud.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    On topic:
    Posted Image

Discuss.
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Ah, Philosoraptor... always bringing the most mind boggling questions!
  • Top Gun%s's Photo

hey topgun, maybe we could actually get up to some rational jousting amidst this baloney. where did god come from then? why is a universe coming from nowhere a more difficult concept than a god coming from nowhere?

My belief of God is based on the bible which says that God was, is, and is to come. So in other words God has just always been.
  • Cole%s's Photo
    If your god can "just always be", why can't the universe? why does it need a creator if your god doesn't?
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    indeed.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

My belief of God is based on the bible which says that God was, is, and is to come. So in other words God has just always been.

The bible is a book written by humans in a period of time where logic was seriously flawed. I believe more in a book of science than a book of faith.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    A book of science is just as much a book of faith. You just said it yourself:

I believe more in a book of science than a book of faith.

and i dont mean to defend "books of faith" by saying that.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    yeah, please don't start dissing religion. nice, reasoned arguments are fine but the time for slagging has been and gone.
  • highroll3r%s's Photo
    I strongly believe that the universe, well omniverses ara simply the mind of our creator. Its hard to understand i know but think of it. Everything is made up of atoms from us to grains of sand. My theory is that were just mear frigments of an eternal entities brain. Sounds crazy right? The big bang imo was the birth of the entity, thus the expansion of the universe is due to growth. Why is it impossible for the universe to come from nothing? How do hens lay eggs without cockrels? If the eggs are stored in the hen, then why cant the "egg" before the big bang have already have been there? The univers is definately alive, it was born, lives then dies. Just like everything els living. We will never fully understand the universe imo. Theres a forth dimension invisible to mankind which holds so many secrets we so desperately need to know. My conclusion is that we are inside the brain of our creator. Maybe our creator is on earth living umongst us, who knows but it could be something to do with using all of the brain!
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

A book of science is just as much a book of faith. You just said it yourself:

and i dont mean to defend "books of faith" by saying that.

While it's true you have to put faith in the system of science that humans created, it is far more rational than the pure faith-based Bible. The Bible isn't based on empirical evidence and logic. Science books are :)
  • highroll3r%s's Photo
    hahaha...well thats the last input i give to this topic since im fucking invisible!
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    That's just what my Bible says, and that's what I believe. I'm not going to sugar coat my beliefs in an attempt to try to convert you. I'm not going to sit here and try to perform some kind of miracle to try to prove God is real. Its just what I believe. I don't think its so much that God doesn't exist, but that the thought of God is just too much for us to understand or grasp. Much like the thought of eternity.

If you really want to know if God is real then seek him yourself. I'm not talking about performing a bunch of religious rituals. I'm talking about going after God and longing to seek his face. If you truly seek God, then I firmly believe he will reveal himself to you.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i want you to try and convert me! show me what makes you happy! i don't know about all you other guys but i enjoy seeing what makes people tick.
  • RMM%s's Photo

What burden? How many times do I have to say it? The burden of proof lies on the one who asserted a positive claim. You cannot prove that something does not exist. You cannot prove a negative claim.

Say I say that I have a purple zebra living in my garage. Is it up to you to prove me wrong? No. Am I correct until proven wrong? Of course not. You can't prove the zebra isn't real, but that doesn't mean it is real. It would be up to me to prove my claim. Until then, you have no reason to believe it.

What makes the above comparison any different to your claim that the Christian god exists?

Cole pretty much ended this thread with this, Ice.