RCT Discussion / The Overrated RCT players/parkmakers.

• RCTFAN%s's Photo
    Is that in the right topic WME? :p
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    LOL at a couple of things.

1) the ROB nonsense...first of all, I will admit one thing about RoB....the legend of SACF helps RoB become more legendary than it actually is, and his name did help him garner more praise then somebody else would have (like a noname) if they would have made the park. HOWEVER, that being said, RoB is still top 5 RCT/RCT2 park.

2) At Lucas....lol, how can u overrate me based on RCT2? And moreover you seemed to be more pissed about Xenon's design not making it than JK being overrated. No disrespect to Xenon, but his/her design is not superior to JK's design...no matter how much hoop-la people are making about it in the release thread.

Its amazing how people at this site try and discredit others...hilarious actually (and no im not referring to people calling others overrated).
  • lucas92%s's Photo
    I just want to highlight that onlyJK(and you, Fatha') got a design.

I didn't wanted to say that Xenon's design was better, but JK design was at the same level and he got a design...

And do my first work on rct2 could get a NE design without reputation, Fatha'? I'm not sure...
  • J K%s's Photo
    Well just because i recieved a design and Xenon did'nt dose'nt make me overated. Yeah i think Xenon deserved it aswell as RCTNW but at the end of the day its only a game, there have been mixed views of the better two of the four recently released designs. Thats why i think these threads are good to discuss these things.

I don't mind people saying im overated because thats fine but i never thought that would get a design either. I built it for my club's contest in three weeks, i never intended on setting out to get another design but if you completed it would'nt you send it in and see if it got it?

Well thats just my 2$, its just funny that two designs being released at the same time that are'nt your cup of tea, can automatically label the parkmaker as underated. Again i'll say these topics are good for this kind of discussion.
  • laz0rz%s's Photo

And do my first work on rct2 could get a NE design without reputation, Fatha'? I'm not sure...

View Post

No, it would get in based on quality (if, of course, it's good enough).

And so did Fatha's.

See, you're not the one choosing what gets in or not. Corky has seen a lot of RCT work, so I think he knows what he's doing. Just because his opinion doesn't match yours doesn't mean you should go off on anyone, especially J_K. Just say that you don't agree with the person who's judging, and move on.
  • Fatha'%s's Photo

I just want to highlight that onlyJK(and you, Fatha') got a design.

I didn't wanted to say that Xenon's design was better, but JK design was at the same level and he got a design...

View Post

LOL.
    You act as if my reputation is based off nothing.
    Im so loved/hated by people because Im good at what I do....You get good at the game and youll enjoy a good reputation.

The same goes for Phatage, SACF, Mala, etc etc. If you are labeled as overrated, you have quality work. You should try and become "overrated" :nod:
  • lucas92%s's Photo

You should try and become "overrated" :nod:

View Post

Lol! Well, I'll try :D .

Sorry if I offended the judges though (hard job).
  • super rich%s's Photo
    Well you don't exactly have to be overrated like you said to get something like a design, i mean look we didn't know who JK was and he's got some good work going and a design backing it.
  • egg_head%s's Photo
    ^ actually two. :kiss:
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Id say RoB is underated if anything, that park was ahead of it's time.

GCC would be the most overated, looking back I don't even think it should have been up for park of the year let alone won, someone can stack landblocks into the air, wow, big deal...
  • Jacko Shanty%s's Photo
    i didn't particularly care for rivers of babylon. and i remember i told SACF this in his construction topic and everyone was shocked. and i thought it was weird. i agree with fatha that his name probably helped him garner more praise. i came to this site around the time he was constructing it so i didn't know about his past or anything.

it's not that it's a bad park. but people were treating it like it was extremely innovative, brilliant, a work of the gods, while i thought it was boring to look at. w/e though i don't really like anything anymore.
  • Evil WME%s's Photo

Id say RoB is underated if anything, that park was ahead of it's time.

GCC would be the most overated, looking back I don't even think it should have been up for park of the year let alone won, someone can stack landblocks into the air, wow, big deal...

View Post

sigh.
  • Phatage%s's Photo

but people were treating it like it was extremely innovative, brilliant

View Post

because it was. if you didn't take a technique straight from rob, then you must have had to take one from somebody who did. the only other rct2 park ever to even compare was fantastic wonders
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    Quite honestly, and this is not me hating on SACF, RoB is not as innovative as one thinks...

Yes, it has innovative portions of the park...such as these:
    - Parts of "The Flood"
    - Eversio Lemuria and portions of Lemuria (decayed theming)
    - Custom language signs in Lhasa (name escapes me)

Everything else about RoB was not necesarilly INCREDIBLY innovative...his Mexican area "Tulum" was standard fare, as was the entrance (Although Eden was GORGEOUS). His coasters were standard fare for him (which means they were good), and in reality the entire park seemed to be a medium step-up from Legends West, with some RCT2 flair added here and there.

The park is stunning, but as far as it influencing RCT2 parks ahead of it, not so much. I would venture to say that Foozy's screenshots (you know the incredibly cluttered ones) did more to influence people than RoB. Even Toon had more of a say as to what future parks would look like than RoB.
  • X250%s's Photo
    yeah i think RoB is amazing, even for today. everything is just so 'perfect'. The Eversio Lemuria kinda revolutionarised rct2, from what i've heard. Hence everything looking exactly the same after it was released. The coaster in that area is still the most smooth, faultless coaster ive seen to date- which says summat.

-X-
  • rK_%s's Photo
    RoB is themed to perfection.

and for over rated players, phatage.

fire dragon was garbage 8@

Edited by Alchemist L7, 24 May 2006 - 04:41 PM.

• CoasterForce%s's Photo
    The main reason why RoB is better than most parks out there is because it flows perfectly. No one building seems isolated and a substantial amount of quality is there throughout every square of the park. It DOES have its imperfections, like the foliage, which is a tad repetitive in spots, but it they almost don't matter at all, because the quality is so evenly dispersed. The elegance in theming reaches a level that no other RCT2 park has reached...except Turtle's IC has its moments that remind me of SAC.
  • Phatage%s's Photo

Quite honestly, and this is not me hating on SACF, RoB is not as innovative as one thinks...

Yes, it has innovative portions of the park...such as these:
    - Parts of "The Flood"
    - Eversio Lemuria and portions of Lemuria (decayed theming)
    - Custom language signs in Lhasa (name escapes me)

Everything else about RoB was not necesarilly INCREDIBLY innovative...his Mexican area "Tulum" was standard fare, as was the entrance (Although Eden was GORGEOUS).  His coasters were standard fare for him (which means they were good), and in reality the entire park seemed to be a medium step-up from Legends West, with some RCT2 flair added here and there.

The park is stunning, but as far as it influencing RCT2 parks ahead of it, not so much.  I would venture to say that Foozy's screenshots (you know the incredibly cluttered ones) did more to influence people than RoB.  Even Toon had more of a say as to what future parks would look like than RoB.

View Post

see the thing is that you haven't gotten really into rct2 until a while after rob was released; tulum was one of the sections that was released prior to everything else and still was amazing many months afterwards. its not just the major things, its a lot of layout, stackings, placements, etc that have subtly worked their way into practically every bit of rct2 played today, all started with that one park. throw me any park for example and i'm sure i'll be able to respond.

foozy was groundbreaking, but in reality he only set the trend for using toon's scenery
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I've been around for ages, and I thought RoB was pretty standard of the time. Certainly better than the rest, but I remember being pretty damn bored with the park.

And it certainly had a lot to do with his name. If Mala released a park right now, everyone would praise it before looking at it and dismiss the faults as being "his style". Not to say I don't like his work, I just get kind of pissed off when people don't have opinions of their own.
  • Panic%s's Photo
    I kind of remember RoB being less an "oh my god this is so innovative and genius" example park than the park that everyone had been waiting for someone to produce, the nice-style, semi-fantasy yet you could still imagine walking around in it, semi-NE style park that was aching to be built now that RCT2 had advanced decently far and there was custom scenery to be had. RoB was the first example of a guy really, REALLY knowing what he was doing with the combination of RCT2 and custom scenery and using prior parkmaking skills to assist his effort.